Friday, December 01, 2006

Botching Jokes since 1943

A great deal of attention has been paid to John Kerry's recent "botched joke," which addressed the (inevitable) relationship between college grades and military service.

The media has questioned whether or not this "b.j." will affect Mr. Kerry's potential bid for the White House in 2008.

I voted for John Kerry in 2004 and, to this day, consider his loss something of a tragedy.

Tragedy, as a dramatic form, necessitates a hero with an inborn flaw that will ultimately bring about his demise. Often times an oracle will identify a hero's flaw early in the hero's life. The oracle will also forecast the manner in which this hero will meet his quietus.

Now I am no oracle--only hindsight allows me to remove my spectacles--but allow me to say, here and now, that John Kerry is about as funny as a pencil.



(Unfortunately, unlike a pencil, he doesn't have an eraser.)

No comments: